MacKay & McLean provides the professional services of a large Regina law firm, with the intimate attention of a small firm. The legal process can be daunting and overwhelming, but it doesn't have to be. MacKay & McLean is with you every step of the way.
MacKay & McLean are TRUSTED REGINA LAWYERS
Should you fight your traffic ticket?
Here are some important points to consider when deciding if you should fight your traffic ticket.
Did you ever feel that when you received a traffic ticket you were already considered guilty?
If you were told you were cheating on an exam, would you simply accept it?
If your bank told you that you’re being charged a fee because you overspent, when you didn’t – would you just “pay it?”
Would you just accept being over charged at the grocery store and not say anything?
The average person’s experience with the police is nearly always with a traffic stop. Most of us are nervous with this singular encounter. The expectation is that you have been caught doing something against the law and the expectation is that you will just take the punishment of paying the fine.
Make no mistake Traffic Tickets are an industry and the only significant revenue source, besides taxes, for the court system. Most cities and towns with a police force place the amount expected from traffic tickets as part of its yearly budget. Conflict of interest bleeds through the entire system.
Here are some of the many reasons why you should consider fighting your ticket:
- Civic duty - government considers it a good source of extra revenue. Fighting them discourages over-use
- Just paying the ticket costs money
- It will cost you more money when you renew your license
- Tickets affect your driving record
- To many tickets can effect whether you can drive, or not
- It can affect your insurance premiums
- Points against you licence can add up quickly but take a long time to disappear
- Maybe you just want time to pay your ticket - fighting it often gives you more time
- You might not actually be guilty of anything
How to Decide Whether to Fight or Fold
Before assuming the ticket can’t be beaten and resigning yourself to writing out that check, we encourage you to take a hard look at the facts to see if you have a reasonable chance of success. You may be surprised at the variety of legal grounds available for defeating your ticket.
Here are some questions to determine whether going to court makes sense:
- Was the officer’s view of what occurred obstructed by other moving vehicles or stationary objects like trees, fences, or buildings? If so, this allows you to argue that the officer could not have clearly seen the alleged offense and gives you an opening to sell your version of events to the judge.
- Did the officer stop the right car? It is quite possible in heavy traffic for an officer to see a violation committed by one white minivan (a 1995 Plymouth Voyager, for example) and to stop another (an almost identical white 1994 Dodge Caravan) farther down the road. Your ability to claim this happened (“the officer got the wrong driver, Your Honor”) obviously goes way up if you can show that because of a curve in the road, construction project, or just heavy traffic, the officer lost sight of the offending vehicle between the violation and pulling you over.
- Was there an actual, provable error in the officer’s approach or methodology? In citing you for speeding, did the officer correctly pace your vehicle or properly use radar, or laser to establish your speed?
- Do any other legal defenses exist to the law you’re charged with violating? For example, if you were charged with driving too slowly in the left lane of a multi lane highway, it is a legal defense that you were planning to turn left.
For more questions and help with any legal issues consult with our Trusted Regina Lawyer Robert MacKay
Here is a list of more consumer tips by Robert MacKay
Robert MacKay's team provides professional, personalized service and with their assistance, you can rest assured that you will be handled with the utmost consideration and care.
At Winmar They perform their work the way it should be done -by industry standards…nothing less! REGINA DISASTER RECOVERY SERVICES Winmar provides expert advice and world class service!
They have certified consultants who are there for you 24/7 for REGINA disaster response services, fire and flood damage & restoration throughout Saskatchewan.
Here they share a great Testimonial from Vince Garland
"Around January my elderly mother fell at home,at this time I didn’t realize how bad her house had become with black mould ,I called Chris at the time he came out and saw how bad the situation was Winmar came in gutted the outside walls insulated with foam re dry walled house also at this time the shower downstairs spring a leak and again Winmar took care of all the problems we did major renovations in the house new flooring drywall kitchen cupboards led lighting and I can tell you they worked with the budget we had I can’t thank Chris Steve and mike for all the work they did
My mom couldn’t be happier thanks so much Winmar Regina they are the only company I would ever call on an emergency first rate guys." Vince Garland
THANK YOU Vince for taking the time to share your experience and thanks to Winmar for truly showing they deserve their Trusted status!
When we give the Thumbs up to a business IT MEANS something!
WINMAR Regina's experienced and certified staff provide full service restoration for all types off loss;
With their 24 hour a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year service they always come through for you.
WINMAR knows what it takes to satisfy their customers..That's why Winmar are a TRUSTED REGINA & AREA DISASTER SERVICES COMPANY and REGINA GENERAL CONTRACTOR
Emerald Park Homes takes great pride in their workmanship, and have some of the finest tradesmen in the industry working together with them to create quality homes. Their focus is: "Our Quality Shows” and if you drive around the communities of White City / Emerald Park located just 8 minutes east of Regina on the #1 Highway, you will see signs on the lots available for your custom designed Emerald Park Home.
Put 20 years of experience in home building to work for you! Emerald Park Homes are TRUSTED REGINA & REGION HOME BUILDERS and they are experts in their industry.
Building a Custom Designed Home – Step 1: The Perfect Plan
So, you’ve decided to build a custom home, woo-hoo!! Building a custom home is such a wonderful experience. It allows you to see your own imagination come to life in a home that is uniquely crafted for you and your family.
Now, where should you start?
You’ve probably already got some ideas in mind of what you’re wanting in terms of the floor plan or layout for your new home. Whether it’s three bedrooms on the main floor, or a mudroom off the garage to hide the family’s jackets and boots from guests, or maybe your kids are all grown up so having an office on the main floor is more important than an extra bedroom. Whatever it is, that idea in your head about what you want in your new home – that’s your wish list. So, before you get too far into the process, sit down with your family and write down everything that is on your wish list for your home.