Building a Custom Designed Home – Step 1: The Perfect Plan
So, you’ve decided to build a custom home, woo-hoo!! Building a custom home is such a wonderful experience. It allows you to see your own imagination come to life in a home that is uniquely crafted for you and your family.
Now, where should you start?
You’ve probably already got some ideas in mind of what you’re wanting in terms of the floor plan or layout for your new home. Whether it’s three bedrooms on the main floor, or a mudroom off the garage to hide the family’s jackets and boots from guests, or maybe your kids are all grown up so having an office on the main floor is more important than an extra bedroom. Whatever it is, that idea in your head about what you want in your new home – that’s your wish list. So, before you get too far into the process, sit down with your family and write down everything that is on your wish list for your home.
Questions to ask yourself?
- Where do you want to live? (Smalltown, big city, close to parks and green space, close to schools, close to work, close to family, etc.)
- Have you picked a lot yet? Finding the right lot is crucial when thinking about your floor plan because the home will have to be drawn up to suit the lot.
- How many square feet do you want in your home?
- Bungalow or a two-storey?
- Do you want to have more bedrooms in your home, or would it be of more value to you to have that space for something else?
- Would you like to have walk-in closets in all of the bedrooms? Maybe just in the master?
- Are you wanting a 2 car garage, or 3, or more?
- Do you prefer an open concept layout or more closed off?
- Which direction do you want your windows to face in the living room? Do you want lots of sun, or not?
- Is a walk through pantry from the garage to the kitchen to allow you to put groceries away easily something you’d like?
- If a young family goes through A LOT of laundries, maybe it would make sense to have your laundry room close to the bedrooms?
- Is a wet bar in the basement something you’d like to make entertaining a breeze?
- What else do you have in mind for the home that’s important to you?
The perfect plan:
Once you have an idea of what type of home you’re wanting, we can show you a bunch of different plan options. We’ve got plenty of plans for you to look through at the office to give you a better idea of the kind of floor plan layouts and exterior looks that you like.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed with designing your plan and need some inspiration,Emerald Park Homes Pinterest and Houzz boards are a great place find ideas. The Houzz board has photos of most of recently completed homes that you can browse through.
Before they get too far into the design process of your plan, it’s always a good idea to arrange a meeting with your builder. Together they can sit down and make sure that the kind of house you have in mind is going to fit into your budget. They will also be able to help you pick out the right lot for you and your family. It’s important to pick your lot early on as the house plan will have to be tailored specifically to the lot.
Designing your plan:
After you’ve determined your budget and chosen your lot, their team of designers will work together with you and their dedicated designer to take the ideas of what you like from all the different plans you’ve looked at and put them together into one perfect plan. If you find a plan that they have already had drawn and built before – like a show home perhaps – and you love it, you can always change it around and tweak it a bit to customize it to fit what you are looking for as an option as well.
After consulting with the designer to talk about your plan, they will create a preliminary plan for your home.
From there, they will take you through a virtual walk-through of your home so you can get a feel of what is really going to look and feel like once it is built.
You can make any kind of changes that you’d like to it. Once you’ve given it the thumbs up then it is ready for us to analyze and start working on pricing it out for you.
Keep in mind:
** Preliminary plans are one of the first steps to getting you a quote for your new home. But, it’s worth mentioning that there are other decisions that need to be made in order for us to do so accurately. Like what kind of finishings you will be wanting in your home, etc. But we’ll get into that elsewhere.