Here we share a helpful Trusted Tip on the REGINA DIRECTORY about the dangers of anti - Freeze and your pet
With the impending cold weather now and the corner, antifreeze poisoning is a concern. Most cases of antifreeze poisoning occur around the pet's own home and are usually due to improper storage or disposal. As a precaution, vehicle owners should practice safe usage, storage and disposal of antifreeze to help prevent accidental ingestion.
Ethylene glycol, the main ingredient in almost all major antifreeze brands, has an inviting aroma, a sweet flavor. Its appealing smell and taste often tempt animals and children to drink the highly poisonous substance. It only takes a few tablespoons of highly toxic antifreeze to seriously jeopardize an animal's life. Pet guardians need to know how to help keep antifreeze away from animals, as well as detect the early symptoms of antifreeze poisoning.
The following guidelines help pet owners avoid pet exposures to antifreeze.
- Always clean up antifreeze spills immediately.
- Check your car regularly for leaks.
- Always store antifreeze containers in clearly marked containers and in areas that are inaccessible to your pets.
- Never allow your pets to have access to the area when you are draining antifreeze from your car.
Clinical signs can start within 1 hour of ingestion. They include: vomiting, wobbly gait (ataxia), depression within 1-3 hours, increased drinking, fine muscle tremors and panting. During the next 12-24 hours: the initial signs may progress to seizures or coma or the animal may temporarily improve yet then go into acute kidney failure.
If you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze, contact your veterinarian immediately!
Check out the listings here in the Vets and Pets category on THE REGINA DIRECTORY directory of experts.